Tuesday, August 31, 2010


I have to start this out with some sort of a rationalization..... Has anyone ever had a brownie marshmallow cookie from Cutlers? Well during my pregnancy with Ally I couldn't get enough of those dang things! They were all consuming! I would buy 2 and 3 at a time, go home and freeze 1 or 2 and be set to go for the next day or so. Well those cookies got me into a lot of trouble!

The date... March 6, 2007
My Due Date... May 27, 2007
I had just stopped and gotten a cookie from the Cutlers off of 5th south (in bountiful), you guessed right it was a brownie marshmallow cookie, and was headed to see a patient at a nursing facility off of 4th south(in Bountiful). I was driving along my merry way eating my cookie when all of the sudden the car in front of me slammed on their breaks... I quickly followed but with the added distraction of the cookie wasn't fast enough. I SLAMMED into the back of the car going about 30 MPH. My cookie went flying (the true tragedy of the day was that I didn't get to finish my cookie) and me and my pregnant stomach banged into the steering wheel. I tell you that has to be the worst feeling in the world!

I immediately started to feel my stomach getting rock hard. At first I didn't know what was going on. Then it hit me.... I'm in LABOR!!! This can't be happening, not now. I'm not ready, She's not ready. This isn't happening!!! My next thought was... She's not moving! Something is wrong. The lady that I hit came back (very angrily) to talk to me and when she saw me screaming in pain she realized something was wrong. She asked me what was wrong. I said... "My baby isn't moving, I'm having contractions and I'm only 6 months along. CALL 911 NOW!" Well it may not have been the best thing to yell at her because she froze and then started crying right along with me. Someone else stopped and she told them what had happened and that I thought I was in labor. I yelled "I don't think I'm in labor I know it!" They called 911 while I called my daddy. I made sure I was in between my contractions. I let him know I'd been in an accident and I needed him to come help me (my dad is my life saver!). I quickly hung up and started poking my stomach hoping she'd start moving. No such luck. Ally up until this point in my pregnancy never quit moving. Night and day she moved at least something a foot, a hand, anything. I always felt her move and not feeling her move was the most terrifying thing in the world.

The EMT walked up (mid contraction) and asked me how I was doing. My response was "How do you think I'm doing moron!" Ya not the best question to ask someone who is actively in labor. After checking my blood pressure he got very concerned. My blood pressure was through the roof. "I wonder why" is what he said. Really?! You're a freaking paramedic and you can't figure out why my blood pressure is through the roof?! I was furious!!!

Some one else came up and I grabbed his stethoscope to see if I could hear her heart beat or something. I couldn't hear a blasted thing! I was freaking out! They started timing my contractions. I was having them every 2-3 minutes. And boy were they strong. They got me on the stretcher and into the ambulance. I told them my doctor was at Davis and that I didn't want to go to Lakeview. They let me know I didn't have a choice. WAAAAAH! On the drive to the hospital I tried to pull out my phone to call Lori and let her know what was going on. The paramedic grabbed my phone and said "We have things we need to do, you won't be calling anyone." That was the WRONG thing to say to me.

I sat up, grabbed my phone back and said "Listen I have to let the parents of this child know that I'm in labor. Whatever you have to do can wait. You either let me call them or pull over and I'll walk to the Hospital!" He looked very taken aback but didn't say anything. That's right... don't mess with me!

My timing wasn't exactly the best when I called Lori. She answered after the 2nd ring. I said "Lori there's been an accident. I'm in Labor I need you guys to come to the hospital." And then a contraction hit and I started screaming. Lori started freaking out yelling "Which hospital? Which hospital?" It took everything I had to say "Lakeview" and not scream. The paramedic hung up the phone and said, "They know now can we do what we need to?" All I could think to say was "Fine, Whatever."

Withing minutes my mom was there, attempting to calm me down. She asked if I let Lori know and the paramedic said "Oh yes she did. Wouldn't let us touch her until she did." My mom smiled at me. She knew why it was so important to me. They took me up to labor and delivery and hooked me up to all sorts of machines. I was defiantly in labor. They gave me a few meds to stop the labor but the contractions kept coming. Shortly after they got a new IV put in Barton showed up. He let me know that Lori had to find a sitter for the boys but was frantically attempting to get here. Within minutes Lori was in the room holding my hand crying with me. What a blessing she was to have there with me.

They had an ultra sound technician come in to make sure everything was ok. I can't begin to explain how relieved I was when they let me know she was slowly starting to move and that her heart beat was decreasing a bit(as soon as they hooked me up to the machines the doctors got very concerned because of how fast her heart rate was). We were able to have some of the best ultra sound pictures because of the accident. After a few hours of Meds my body finally started to calm down and so did I.

They released me late that night and told me to check in with my normal doctor in the morning.

I called Dr. Meek in the morning and let him know what had happened. He told me to come right in. He checked me and did another ultra sound. I was dilated to a 3 but he said that everything with the baby looked fine. He told me he wanted me to be on bed rest as much as I could (I'll be honest I was on bed rest at night and that's about it).

The one thing that I remember the most was the true love and concern that both Lori and Barton showed toward me during everything. It helped me get through that day and it would help me get through the months after placement.

No comments: